Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Your Rights WARRANT common sense!

Following the horrific events that took place last week in Aurora, Colorado, the debate about our right to bear arms has been up for discussion again.  Many are saying we need stricter gun laws, others say, stricter laws infringe upon our civil liberties.  I'm sure it isn't surprising to hear me agree with the need for stricter laws.

Look, I have a natural fear of guns and the argument that guns don't kill, people do... holds very little water for me.  While I would love every gun in every county, city and state removed off the streets, I know THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.  So I subscribe to a little common sense.
Yes, you have every right to bear arms.  It is clearly stated in the constitution of the United States, but some common sense is most definitely warranted.  I am waiting for someone to explain to me how an "ASSAULT RIFLE" or a "SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON"  are necessary in your "domestic protection", or hunting.

I believe it was former Pennsylvania Governor, Ed Rendell said on MSNBC last week, there is no reason any legal domestic  weapon needs to have more than 10 or 11 rounds of ammunition.  Heck, I say keep it at single digits, no more than 9 if I have to give in somewhere.  While it is unknown how many rounds were actually fired, James Holmes could have gotten off 60 rounds in one minute with his assault rifle alone.... 60 ROUNDS!   He purchased some 6000 rounds of ammunition on-line..... how is that even slightly ok?  That is absolutely ridiculous.  No person needs that kind of weaponry that isn't fighting for their lives in an ACTUAL WAR!

Then you get statements like the one from Texas Congressman (R) Louie Gohmert, who asked why the shooter was the "ONLY" one with a gun?  So let me get this straight, you want to add another gun or two or three to the mix, possibly endanger even more lives because now, bullets flying back and forth in every which direction as if we we're back in the wild west?!  How about, if he isn't able to fire off 60 rounds in a minute.  How about in the time it would have taken him to stop and reload a handgun, or shot gun, someone might have gotten to him to stop him, or, better yet, authorities, may have gained valuable moments to stop him.  But no, we have the "freedom to bear arms" as the argument allowing someone of this sick nature to assault unassuming movie goers.

I am not naive to think, the removal of guns means sick people won't find other ways to do harm.  I know who Timothy McVeigh and Ted Kaczynski are.  It wasn't about guns for them and yet they caused plenty of death and harm.  But to act like we can't help get one area of violence under more control is ludicrous.

Here's what I think, and just so we are clear, I think this should be NATION-WIDE. You should NOT be able to own assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons, period!  You should NOT be allowed to purchase 6000 rounds of ammunition on line, period!   If you want to purchase a gun, you should be subject to a background check.... I was subject to a background check at every job I was hired for, and I was reporting sports!  You should be required to pass a users exam for the gun you are purchasing.  You have to pass a driver's test to drive, in fact you have to pass separate exams for a motorcycle or carrier truck.  There should be a mandatory 30 day waiting period for all licenses to carry a weapon and another 30 day waiting period to physically own a gun... Period!  You should not be able to purchase more than one gun in a 30 period.  You shouldn't be able to purchase more than 12 guns in a calendar year!   I hate guns and I just gave you 12 in a single year!

Explain to me, how these infringe on your rights!?  They don't.  They  are reasonable, common sense protective measures that might, just might help curb the James Holmes and Jared Loughner's of the world.  It might also take a huge chunk out of the weapons of gangs, but that's a whole other day of discussion.

Do my measures solve violence in America, of course not, dumb to think so.  As I mentioned before, depraved individuals spend hours, days, weeks and months figuring out how to hurt, you can't stop them all....But this is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment