Saturday, July 21, 2012

Is there anything more annoying?.....

Than feeling as though you are getting a good sleep on, and then your eyes pop open?  As if the darkness in the room didn't tell you already, that it was way too early, when you look at the clock you realize.... it is WAY TOO EARLY!  Hence it's 3:45 AM eastern time and I am here writing this.
I wouldn't be so frustrated about it, except, I'm tired and have been faithfully trying to get back to sleep for over an hour.  It also doesn't help, that my precious little toddler, really won't care that 'mommy didn't sleep much, she still needs to  be on point when I wake up in about 2 and half hours!'
So tell me you wayward sleepers out there.... what do you do when you know you should be asleep but you are simply.......up!?

Now see back in my single days... house cleaning would be an option.  But with a 17 month old fast asleep as well as a husband..... well, you get the idea.
I am tempted to turn on the tv... but somehow, I think that will only stimulate my brain even more.
One thing I have been doing, that is completely NOT CONSTRUCTIVE, is make a mental list of all the b.s. that's happened and continues to happen in my personal world.  I don't know, maybe that's the problem, maybe I haven't mentally purged enough.

Well, here's a mindless purge.... Text messages, are starting to really bother me.
A new friend that I have made over the past several weeks recently had nose surgery.  Wanting to allow her proper rest time, I waited a few days before reaching out to see how she was doing.  But I didn't call, nope, I sent a text message.  She replied, happy that I was checking in and so our finger banter via cell phone began.  We moved from her surgery to trying to organize some park time with our kids the next day.    Well, the discussion continued to the next morning, because I eventually went to bed and the message I sent that afternoon, didn't get a reply until later that night.... people get busy.... I'm one of them and it's easy to miss a text when you've got the day to deal with.
When I reached for my phone to reply to her text that I missed the night before, I stopped myself... I was about to begin the finger banter again and decided.... no..... I actually want to speak to this person.  I am going to call.  I did.  I got her voicemail, but she called me back pretty quick and we had a great little chat.  In fact, we laughed about the fact that we, like so many others text way too much.  Here's the thing, in the time it takes to send a text, get the reply, reply yourself and repeat.... you could have just as easily called the person and worked out whatever it was voice-to-voice and actually saved some time.

Now, don't get me wrong.  Texting serves a good purpose for me.  When I don't really have time to talk, but want someone to know I'm thinking about them... quick text.  Confirming a girls night out, place and time, quick text.  Checking to see if someone is available to actually talk on the phone, quick text.  The problem is when the text turns into a complete conversation.... that's the stuff that just grinds at me.  Add to it, when you don't want to text back and forth for the 10th time in the same discussion, you decide to call, and the person doesn't answer.... see that makes me want to throw something.  It is also the world we live in.  As advanced as a culture and people that we have become, I think socially, we are lost.  We don't know how to talk to people anymore.  It serves as a means to keep your distance.  We do it with family members, friends and acquaintances alike.  Heck, I have a friend who's son broke up with his girlfriend, VIA TEXT!!!!  Let me repeat that, he BROKE UP WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND VIA TEXT...... AND SHE WAS OK WITH IT!
When did that become ok?

My husband has eyesight issues, so texting isn't something he does at the rate of most.  He still actually calls people and I like that.  In fact, I remember a few years back, when we were planning our wedding, we were trying to pick the song we would dance our first dance to as husband and wife.  We called up his cousin to ask something random about a song and the conversation became one of the most entertaining discussions any of us had had in a long time with no alcohol involved.  We weren't saving the world, just driving down memory lane listening to bits of different songs that brought back vivid details of our life's journey.  We started with the soundtrack from "The Wedding Singer" and from there, it just grew to a phenomenal chaos.  In case you are wondering... we chose "Ebony & Ivory"... it was fitting.... :-)

 I just want to get back to real conversations.  Really developing relationships with people, you know actually talking and getting to know them.
I know, I know, I sound old.  The text isn't going away, or at least not in a sense of winding down, it will evolve into something else, I have no idea what, but something.
Until then the finger banter will continue, and I too will continue to participate.  But may I ask one favor from you today, just one itty bitty, teeny weeny, little favor.... As you go through your day today, sending multiple texts.... If you have the time, see if you can turn one text, just one text into an actual phone conversation.  You never know, it may end up being one of the best chats you have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment